Wednesday, September 14, 2005

 

THE GAME

OK, folks...today's guest for "The Game" is one Missy Nelson...way cool old friend of mine (she ain't old, but we go way back)...great thinker and writer, amazing football prognostacater (sp?), source of many a 'hot librarian' fantasy to University Students in Austin TX, where she lives with Claude, who plays accordian and keys and other things in the Gourds, and Harriet, who does not do any of those things...

NOTE: "The Game" is simple...you must make a choice, and then defend said choice...feel free to post arguments and support. Thanks, Missy, who writes:


Neil Young or Bob Dylan

Damn this is hard....but I have to go with Young. I mean in terms of a desert island kinda thing, not a "who is more important/influential" kinda thing. Bob gets the nod for more important/influential, but in terms of my favorite listening, it's Neil all the way. His range is far greater, his risk-taking is more compelling (think "Trans" and his work with DEVO), and overall, I think he's got a greater body of listenable stuff than Bob. Nothing Dylan has done has wowed me much since Blood on the Tracks, but some of Young's strongest records are from the late 70's, like Rust Never Sleeps/Live Rust. And I think in 2005 I'd twenty times rather see Neil play with Crazy Horse than Bob with any band he can put together. So for range, longevity, and overall listenability I gotta go with Neil.

As for CSN&Y, I think this highlights one of Neil's weaker points - he sometimes isn't very discrimiating about his own output. Maybe Neil is the eternal optimist and thinks that he can actually still make a good record with these guys. Maybe he wants to lend a little selling power to the CSN&Y brand. Or maybe he just likes hanging out with them. I dunno. I liken Neil to a Michael Caine in the acting world - lots of terrific performances, but a fair amount of dreck, too. A solid working musician who likes to rock and likes to stay busy.

Comments:
The last time I saw Missy Nelson, she was HUGE. Don't know how many librarian fantasies she's stoking these days. She always did scare me, though, even when she was attractive.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?